This module aims at:
- introducing students to the fundamentals necessary to get the right diagnosis
- preparing students to perform the clinical steps required to fabricate the complete removable denture
- introducing students to the fundamentals of complete removable denture.
This module introduces students to the stages of fabricating complete denture prosthetics and the different fabrication methods and serial steps theoretically. These steps include taking the preliminary impression, pouring it to obtain a cast, making an acrylic custom impression tray, taking the final impression using both the traditional and the closed-mouth methods, making base plates with wax heights, taking the vertical dimension, recording mouth relation, setting up of teeth, waxing up, acrylic packing and polymerization, finishing and polishing, and, finally, providing the patient with instructions on how to maintain the denture so that he/she can perform all necessary functions such as chewing and speaking.
- Anatomic and histologic introduction
- History taking
- Clinical examination of patient
- Closed-mouth impression
- Mounting on the Articulator
- Artificial teeth
- Occlusal balance
- Denture insertion & providing complete denture wearers with instructions
- Retention and support in complete dentures
- Pre-prosthodontic surgical and nonsurgical treatments
- Soft denture liners
- sound and ultrasound waves and their medical applications
Lectures and practical sessions.
Evaluation of students’ work, theoretical and practical tests and final exam.