Importance of Statistics
Scientific research is a necessity for development, innovation and every scientific advancement, as the level of scientific institutions is measured by the number of scientific researchers and research projects accomplished. This is achieved through statistical comparisons with developed academic institutions. Therefore, it was important to establish a bank for scientific research at Al Andalus University. In addition, it is also important to establish an office for statistics in order to monitor and process the data collected by the bank in order to provide the decision-making people with the necessary information.
Role of the Office of Statistics
The role of the Office of Statistics is to provide accurate information by quickly monitoring, classifying, processing and studying the data collected by the Scientific Research Bank using modern methods. More specifically, its role is to:
- Monitor the number of registered scientific research projects, their titles and the extent to which they have been completed.
- Create scientific research databases and aquire the appropriate programs to process the data.
- Provide statistical consultation with regard to research analysis, especially the medical research.
- Provide statistics on external scientific research and compare them with those of Scientific Research Bank.
- Prepare periodic statistical reports.
The following table shows the number of registered or published research projects at the faculties of the Al Andalus University during the years 2013 and 2014:
# of Registered Research Projects
Published Research Projects
Special forms have been designed in order to assess the elements of success at the Scientific Research Bank and other scientific activities of the university. These forms aim at:
- Documenting and processing datanumerically and graphically
- Soliciting researchers and other participants for their opinions to assess the extent to which scientific research is successful.
A new world order characterized by fast communication and rapid change has emerged. In order to coexist within this global system, it is necessary to acquire a broad base of facts and information in order to be used to make the appropriate decisions. Therefore, the process of obtaining and processing data and information is talked about extensively these days to the point that a new industry, called the information industry, has emerged. One of the indicators used to assess the scientific research in a country is the number of patents.
The following table presents the number of patents and the percentage of high-technology products of some Arab countries compared to other countries (1995 to 1997):
Number of Patents
% of Total Industrial Exports
Value / $1,000
Statistics is the branch of science that describes various methods to collect data and record observations in order to organize and present them using suitable scientific tools with the aim of analyzing them to obtain useful results:
- Data collection: obtaining data from measurements, counting and observations.
- Data organization: organizing data using tables and then representing it graphically.
- Data analysis: finding specific statistical measures from the data in order to be adopted to study the hypothesis to be tested.
- Deduction of result: reaching a conclusion regarding the hypothesis (true or false) so that the appropriate decision can be made.